Memorial Composite High School serves approximately 1200 students from Grades 10 to 12. As one of Parkland School Division's two high schools, we offer a wide array of courses in Career & Technology Studies, fine arts, second languages, as well as work experience and Registered Apprenticeship Programs. Our aim is to help students develop citizenship skills, empathy, and responsibility in a supportive and accepting environment.
At Memorial Composite High School we have a strong, collaborative culture based on learning, caring, and respect. Our fundamental purpose is learning, but we understand that learning is more than an academic exercise. We help students develop citizenship skills, empathy, and responsibility. We have a supportive and accepting culture and atmosphere in which we actively promote students’ efforts to reach their full potential.
Memorial Composite is a school rich in history and is entrenched in the community. Although we opened a beautiful, modern site in February 2010, we have not lost our historical connection to Stony Plain and the surrounding community. We have been a symbol of education and remembrance in Stony Plain for over 60 years. This sense of tradition however, does not mean the school is lost in the past. Students graduate prepared for the 21st Century, with strong academic and critical thinking skills. They are independent thinkers with a strong sense of responsibility and commitment to themselves and to their beliefs.
Unique Features of MCHS
- We are a 21st Century building - we opened at our new location in February 2010.
- We have vibrant Career and Technology Studies (over 50 courses), Fine Arts (Choral, Band, Art, Drama, Musical Theatre), Second Languages (German, French, and Japanese), Work Experience and Registered Apprenticeship programs– we are a true Composite High School.
- Our PLACE (Practical Living and Community Education) and MAP (Modified Academic Program) programs provide educational opportunities for young adults with moderate to severe cognitive and/or physical challenges.
- We have a strong Outreach program, designed to accommodate students for whom a traditional classroom delivery approach is not effective.
- We offer a full complement of extracurricular activities, relying heavily on teacher and community volunteers. We are setting the future for our students with an increased focus on citizenship and social responsibility.
- We are extremely aware of the significance of our school to the town of Stony Plain - Memorial Composite has been a part of Stony Plain since 1950.
How We Define Success
Ultimately, the students who graduate from our school define success for us. This success is demonstrated when our students develop the independence and critical thinking skills required to be true 21st Century learners.
We are proud of the number of students who leave our campus and go on to become successful, productive citizens. Other indicators of success include our positive reputation in the community, the number of students residing outside of our catchment area who choose to enroll at MCHS, and the high levels of academic achievement demonstrated by our students.
We Are Most Proud Of:
MCHS is most proud of the excellent, diverse programs we offer our students and the dedication and talent of our staff - programs that provide a multitude of choice and academic opportunity, and staff who are passionate about and committed to student learning. Our parents and students have confidence in our abilities to offer excellent programs and our constant drive to improve learning. Our students perform well on diploma examinations, and leave our school feeling prepared for work or post-secondary enrolment.
We are proud to be a long-standing, integral part of Stony Plain - our school name is a tribute to the fallen soldiers of World War II, and we are proud to be that symbol of remembrance.
What Makes Our School “Good”? How Do We Know?
MCHS is more than a good school - we are an excellent school, and we know so because:
- Our students, parents, and staff are pleased with the broad range of programs and the overall quality of education we offer the youth of Stony Plain and area.
- A high percentage of our students complete high school in three years, and a low percentage drop out.
- A high percentage of our students are eligible for Rutherford Scholarships.
- Our students are excellent ambassadors for our school.
- Our staff demonstrate care towards our students and are genuinely concerned about their lives.
- We offer a wide range of programs and serve a diverse clientele - meaning there is a place for each and every one of our students at MCHS.
For more information contact:
Memorial Composite High School