Regular Board Meeting Highlights - June 16, 2020
June 16, 2020 - The Board of Trustees is pleased to share with all education stakeholders the highlights of our recent Board meeting held on Tuesday, June 16, 2020 via video conference. The adopted minutes will be available on our website following the next Regular Board meeting.
Organizational Meeting Highlights
- The Board held its annual Organizational Meeting in addition to the regular Board Meeting. Trustee Lorraine Stewart was elected Board Chair by acclamation. Eric Cameron was elected Vice Chair by acclamation. All the new positions posted below as the result of the Organization meeting will be effective September 1, 2020. The Board Chair and Vice Chair will be sworn in at the Regular Board Meeting September 1, 2020.
"It is once again my privilege to serve as Board Chair for the 2020-2021 school year," stated Trustee Stewart.
"I look forward to learning more and always enjoy the opportunity to collaborate with my colleagues who clearly emphasize student success and well-being in all their decisions. Together, we strive to positively impact the world by supporting our students who will be in a better position to do the same by virtue of their time spent in PSD."
"I am honored to serve as Vice Chair on the Board of Trustees for PSD." stated Trustee Cameron.
"It's clear our team always puts students first in every decision made. It's been a wonderful experience building our leadership team over the last few years and I look forward to what we can accomplish together moving forward."
- The following committee positions were also chosen:
- Education Committee Chairperson (Paul McCann)
- Student Advisory Committee Co-Chairs (Eric Cameron, Lorraine Stewart)
- Benefit Plan Advisory Committee (Darlene Clarke)
- Teacher/Board Advisory Committee (Darlene Clarke, Ron Heinrichs, Anne Montgomery)
- Audit Committee (Eric Cameron, Paul McCann, Anne Montgomery)
- Advocacy Committee Chairperson (Lorraine Stewart)
- Alberta School Boards Association, Zone II (Eric Cameron,Sally Kucher-Johnson)
- Public School Boards' Association (Ron Heinrichs, Lorraine Stewart)
- Stony Plain Joint-Use Committee (Paul McCann)
- Spruce Grove Joint-Use Committee (Anne Montgomery)
- Alberta Teachers' Association Labour Relations (Eric Cameron, Darlene Clarke, Sally Kucher-Johnson)
- Central Alberta Assocation of Municipal and School Employees Labour Relations (Darlene Clarke, Sally Kucher-Johnson, Paul McCann)
- International Union of Operating Engineers Labour Relations (Darlene Clarke, Sally Kucher-Johnson, Paul McCann)
- Council of School Councils (Anne Montgomery)
- Teachers' Employer Bargaining Association Representative (Eric Cameron)
- Rural Caucus of Alberta School Boards (Lorraine Stewart)
- The Board approved Appendix 7.3, the Trustee Remuneration Schedule in Board Policy 7. At the Regular Board Meeting, the Board decided to maintain the current Trustee Schedule as it currently reads in Board Policy 7: Board Operations, Appendix 7.3. as the Audit Committee recommendations to approve a new model for remuneration and a reduction to the professional development and per diem components were defeated. (see below)
- The Board established the Meeting Dates for 2020-2021.
- The Board approved revisions to Policy 2 Appendix 2.1 - Board Annual Work Plan (2020-2021).
Regular Meeting Highlights
- The Board accepted and ratified The Parkland School Division (PSD) Alberta Teachers' Association (ATA), Memorandum of Agreement dated March 6, 2020 as recommended by the ATA Labour Relations Committee.
- The Board heard an amendment and subsequently defeated the recommendation to the 20% reduction to Trustee Professional Development Budget and Per Diem Component of Trustee Remuneration for the 2020-2021 school year. The Board then followed by defeating the recommendation to approve the 40% Reduction to Trustee Professional Development Budget and the Per Diem Component of Trustee Remuneration for the 2020-2021 school year.
- The Board defeated the recommendation to the proposed changes to Board Remuneration for the 2020-2021 school year, as recommended by the Audit Committee.
- The Board received as information the Quarterly Financial Report for the quarter ended May 31, 2020. As of May 31, 2020, revenues for the year to date were $96.0 million dollars and expenditures year to date were $97.3 million resulting in a deficit of $1.3 million. A deficit of $1.9 million is forecast for the year ended August 31, 2020.
- The Board received as information the Instructional Services Report as presented by Instructional Services Director, Kathy Mann.